View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Example.. Just before dinner last night, Arnold Schnitzer (a bassist too.. don't kid yourself), my friend Kevin (a Philly pro and teacher at UArts) and myself were playing a Bass trio jazz tune. Paul Ellison walks but and hangs out to listen. Then as I am about to take a solo, John Clayton walks by and I call out, "John, come help me with this. I don't know the tune".. (joking slightly). He takes "Big Ben" from my hands (Arnold with the Martini and Kevin with the Candi) and starts playing
Yeah, first I was attempting to bow the melody to "My Romance". I look up and Paul Ellison is standing next to me. I exclaim, "Paul, I don't really do this!" (play the bass). Then the three of us are playing a fast blues, and I open my eyes because I notice the guy next to me is SMOKIN! And it's John Clayton! Holy crap!!! What key were we in? Only at the ISB...

Here's my John Clayton story. I hope he reads this.

It's 1976 or 77. I just finished a week at Blues Alley in D.C. with Gap Mangione (Chuck's older brother). We have a night off before we fly to Seattle for our next engagement. I go into the club to try and hit on Susan, a gorgeous air-head of a waitress. The band starts up. Monty Alexander with Jeff Hamilton and John Clayton. I stop my flirtation in mid-sentence as my jaw will not rise from the floor. My goodness, it sounds like Ray Brown on the bottom end, but with something else, a slightly different bounce to the notes, a little more aggressive feel. Then he takes a solo! I left my place at the bar and went to hang by the bandstand. After a couple tunes, I started drinking. A lot. "I'm finding another line of work", I told myself. In the end I did find another line of work, and that's going just fine.

John, you are a mother$^%^$ of a musician and a wonderful guy to boot. It was a thrill to hear you in 76/77 and to play a few choruses with you in 2009.