View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Samuel Budnyk is on a distinguished road
Default News on my bass

I recieved it from Kolstein about a month ago -I was very excited to get it back with a "slide rail" extension in place of the mechanical one. However, immediately after getting the bass inside I tuned up and looked up to do so... And noticed a crack from the the top of the neck and up through the scroll. We immediately contacted Kolstein and we sent it back to him within a day or two. Based on the damage, we concluded that the bass had to have been dropped at a very unusual angle to send that much force through the bass (which was in a flight case!) yay for shipping
We also decided that the only fix would be a new neck. This neck, however, is going to be made of maple. Stopped by Kolstein's yesterday to see if he had any basses I would exchange my Maggini for and, while I found a few that I liked better tonally and in feel, they were above the bass considerably in price. I am also, as of now, planning on getting a Laborie endpin drilled.
Any advisements with regards to modifications such as tailpieces or carbon fiber vs wooden Laborie endpins?