View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Linz View Post
I had always heard that Chambers took his big German Bass out of the back of a car , supposedly with Doug Watkins who was his cousin, and that the bass belonged to a player in one of the New York symphonies. The player tracked down his bass to Paul at a gig, but after hearing him play decided that he should keep it. Paul was a huge junkie and I guess his bass ended up in the pawn shop too many times. The other rumor is that Paul put that ladyhead on the bass himself. He literally sawed off the top of the scroll and glued her in? Maybe. Anyways Ken do you have any info on the whereabouts of Mr Chambers bass? Seems like such an important part of bass history and also I'm wondering if anyone else has heard these tales or is someone just blowing smoke up my ass? Best, Adam Linz
I heard some of that story not long ago but I have no idea if it is true or not. Also, I have no idea where the bass is. Back on those days, this was NOT the level of a bass that was in the Symphonies. They had plenty of Italian basses to go around and some English as well. Anything is possible though.