Thread: Bass Tracks....
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Have you guys seen 'you tube'? Have they been sued for any of the Vids on their site? We are not selling this here. It is just the players posting some clips to share it with their friends? Do you send royalties to BMI or ASCAP each time you play a song at home or for your friends or even in a club?

This is not a commercial section here at all. We are not selling any music. I have an entire Thread about Violin Books to read or buy. If anything, those publishers should send me a Gift, not a Writ! If someone puts out a CD and you promote that, you should get rewarded, not sued! If you have some Bass playing you wish to share, then share it..
You're preaching to the choir Ken!

I've made all our music free to share. I look at it as free advertisement and a compliment.

But there are a lot of large organizations that are suing 5 year olds, grandmothers, and dead people for allegedly sharing low bitrate crap copies of crap music.

My big worry is that by allowing the uploads to your server (which is an excellent service!), you may be taking on some liability in distributing the files. Google can get out of it because they have an army of lawyers to fight off the other company's army of lawyers. I don't think you have an army on retainer, which is why I brought this up.. No biggie, as long as you have a statement in the rules or something that specifically covers uploaded content. You may never get bitten on this, but they are claiming damages of $150k per song hosted when they sue others on this.

I think as long as you actively respond to DMCA take down notices you can't be targeted.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind