View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Posting Member

Paul Warburton is on a distinguished road
Default Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Branstetter View Post
Paul, did you ever talk with Bill after playing with him in '64?
Yeah, I saw him serveral times, including 2 unforgettable times. First time when Ray Iverson brought Bill, Eddie, and Marty into the Senate Lounge here in Denver. The guys asked me to play. I did, but wished I hadn't......Eddie at this time had that nice Morelli, but strung with nylon wrapped strings....ouch!
The second time was when I was playing a commercial gig, subbing for another bass player. The bass player who took me to the airport for my gig with Bill was a Bill Evans groupy, so I knew Bill was in town.....sure enough this guy shows up with Bill.
The piano player was hell-bent on making sure I played a STRICKLY TWO BEAT bass kinda thing.....he lectures me with " yeah, we all know you're a hot shot jazz bassist " Goes to great lengths to assure himself of a jazz free gig!!! All before the gig.
You can see it coming can't You!!!!!!!!!
So Bill and Jerry walk in along with about 10 of Denver's hippest jazz musicians.
I say to this piano player while i'm coaxing out of my bass the most obvious 2 beat imagiinable: " LOOK, it's Bill Evans!"
" NO! " he says " Yes " I say.....now this ******* wants to start playing hip, playing his finest Bill voicings and looking at me like...." Come on, let's go...... " NO WAY MF " I'm playin' 2 beat. One of my proudest moments!
Bill's hip to what's going on on the bandstand, as well as about 10 of this guys peers!
To make matters worse for this guy, I introduce him to Bill. He says" Oh Bill, i'm sorry you had to hear me under these conditions!" Bill says "No problem, we all have had to do this. I noticed Paul was just playing 2 BEAT"
I really come out of this unscathed by anyone because when I play two-beat, I try to sound like Percy Heath!
One of the last times I saw him, it was some jazz fest. in L.A. He told me I would be perfect for Stan Getz. Funny, I ended up with Stan later on.
Then he called me too late when he had Mike Moore. He wanted to get together to " See how it felt " This never happened.
Unfortunately I went to hear him in SF right before he died. He was playing brilliantly, but he was on his way out...he gave me a last hug. It was like hugging a skeleton.......This, clearly, was Bills darker side...too bad for us..

Last edited by Paul Warburton; 06-10-2007 at 09:54 AM.