Thread: My New Bow
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Oh, you were joking! I get it, now. I admit the photos are a bit commercial looking. They'd make a good banner ad. Window light and a Canon R5. I'm a recovering professional photographer. I'll get over it.

So how's it working out? Well, you know after 3 days and two gigs, I definitely have a distinct impression that the hair is broken in! Honestly, this is the best bow I've ever played with. It is also the most expensive, but not as expensive as these come. In the middle somewhere probably. It has so many advantages over my old bows, which were not bad for beginner bows, that it will be hard to pick one of those up again until the Brunkalla needs a re-hair.

It was time for a better bow. My technique was kind of hitting a wall and this bow has opened some doors. A couple of years ago, I don't think I would have been able to appreciate the difference as much. It starts the low big strings much more easily than my old bows and the dynamic possibilities are extended at both ends. It can go from a whisper to a growl in a couple of inches of a stroke and I can play whole passages on the two inches of hair right at the tip. Cranking up the tension is really different. It has a long range in the twist (which is also smooth as silk) that seems to be almost the same before it gets really tight, so it is less tension critical and the performance is really consistent within a range.

I always had a hard time getting the tension just right on the brazilwood bows and this one just plays good whether the hair is relatively loose or somewhat tighter. It doesn't get too tight as quickly. I don't know if that is the wood (Osage Orange) or just the skill of the maker or some of both. I think I'm set with a good German bow for a long time. Somewhere down the road I might get him to make me a French bow, but for now this one is doing what I needed.