Thread: Xavier Jaquet ?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well.

The pictures are quite dark. I wish they were loaded on the forum and not a zip file. That would make viewing comparisons a lot easier.

Basses from the mid to late 19th century in France have many similarities between the makers from what I have seen. Basses attributed to either the Claudots, Jacquets, Barbe families or even a few more names often look nearly identical. Is it possible that some of the components came from the same shops or workers? Were there 'brands' being produced then? One thing is for sure and that is the 'Guilds' were definitely in place back then. This means that Scroll from several bass brands (or shops) could be from the same Scroll maker as well as the varnishing. There was a 'Carving Guild (Union)', Painting (varnishing?) Guild and a Violin makers Guild. These are all that I know about concerning instruments but all the Machines we see are from the same shops as well so add that Guild as well.

On dates let me remind you that 3-string Basses were still being offered in the 1920s from both France and England. Although they were available to order, the 4-string method was already taking hold worldwide as the standard by at least 1870 or so if not earlier in some countries.

The scratched in date on your Bass is just that. Something that someone scratched in and even altered it from 1940 to 1840. I would personally not take much belief into your bass being any earlier than 1860 or so and possible later. The style looks to me like a Jacquet shop bass (or Barbe or Claudot.. lol) and from the latter part of the 19th century rather then the mid-century date you have now on it.

Hey, look on the bright side. Everyone believes it's French so at least we all agree on that. I have seen many basses where even guessing the country is even difficult. This one, French Mirecourt-'School' Bass, latter 19th century. That's as far as I would go on this for now.