View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow Strings in, strings on..

I just got my Extension set today and put them on. They are still stretching so I will play them throughout the day as time allows and re-tune as needed.

I wasn't sure which Bass to try them on so I called Arnold to get his input. He suggested I try them on my Gilkes so I did. Listed below is the first reaction playing them only a few minutes. I will update the list as they break in and have more to say about them.

First off, I replaced a regular set of Flexocor Strings with the EPs and they are only about .010" at most thicker than the Flexs so not much of a change on the string slots. The Gilkes had Stark Flexs after its restoration and a few months later put the regular gauge on the the slots started out larger to begin with.

The EPs feel very soft on the left hand and believe it or not, slightly smoother sounding on the Bow on the 'G' string to me. Maybe it's more of how the Bow and string grab each other rather than smoothness but in either case, I like the feel. The E/C sounds bigger and more open than it did with the Flexs as well. The 'A' string is also wider sounding. The 'A' and 'D' though did sound deeper before but tighter. The sound is more open now for the time being.

Second, the Pizz is very jazzy as compared to the thumpier sounding Flexs or at least on this Bass. The Gilkes has a fairly 'dry' sound as compared to others I have or have played so any help getting it more 'olive oil' sounding is a plus in my book. The Gilkes sounds even more open than it did an hour ago and a more penetrating sound filling the room as well. The Flexs might have been a bit darker sounding but with less overall sound behind it.

Bottom line so far after a few minutes? I like these strings. They feel soft under my fingers, and grab the Bow well with a slight edge on the definition of each note. The Gilkes is now more suitable for jazz work as well.

More to come as I play them .....