View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Stiffer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Johnson View Post
Good review. I really love the front of the notes with these strings, both arco and pizz. They were actually a little stiffer than I expected.... maybe because in my mind I was still holding onto the feel of the Obligatos that I'd used in the past. They're not like that at all. They really feel just about right on my bass; soft feel, yet with enough feedback to allow me to dig in.
Coming from Flexocors, I see them as looser to me. Definitely way looser as compared to the diameter difference as these EPs are meaty in size but feel so so soft to the touch. A real winner in my book. I was starting to like the Bel's on a few basses I tried them on but the 'E' was always too soft sounding and the strings themselves had no center to the sound. These new EPs have plenty or lows, sweetness of tone and guts as well. "What took so long?" is the question.

Today they are holding pitch much better and my Gilkes has never sounded better. I was using my Martini for Orchestra for its added depth and power until I made the string change yesterday on my Gilkes. Today I AB'd them again asking one of my people here to go in the next room by my Bench and listen thru the wall. Usually the Martini shakes the floor and the Gilkes has more mid type presence. This time, the Gilkes shook my work bench thur the wall, the Martini didn't!

They say the proof is in the pudding and I'm getting fat on it..lol (or is that 'phat'?)