Thread: Keith Horn
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool pre-set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Sivers View Post
Ken, your Smith circuits must be something else! Hazlab right? I hope I'm allowed to mention this but on another forum, we were asked for our opinions on a new bass that was a bolt on, double passive humbuckers and 2 band eq. It fared well over all but it many that tried it out mentioned the lack of clarity. The next year or so, that brand came out with a NT version of the same bass with a 3 band eq and the improved clarity was the main comment. I wonder if regular 2 band eq's have a pre set mid range setting. Anyway, all that matters now is that my Smith will be here soon (if it survives it's journey from the west coast) and in between practicing more than ever, I can spend my time nit picking over these details to pass the time and maybe learn something!
I have no clue what other people make. A bass should have a sound of its own within the wood itself. Then the pickups added should be just microphones in my opinion and to amplify the sound of the wood. The average bass out there cannot stand on its organic construction so at the onset, the pickups alone are colored to help a dead pile of wood sound like something. Then the EQ or Circuit is added and its ONLY function is to EQ the sound of the rest of the Bass, wood thru pickups.

Think of a fine violin, add a good mic and then eq it. Make it solid and shape it like an electric bass guitar and what have you? A Smith Electric Bass. We answer to a higher authority..