View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Cubbage is on a distinguished road

Mr. Smith is giving good information.

Neck joints I have seen for Kay basses had dove tail joints, not mortise joints. Replacement necks for Kay basses online that I have seen have dove tail joints. Personally, I wish they did not use dovetail joints for bass necks.

There are many types of bass strings. As Mr. Smith said, solo strings will have a lower feel of tension because they are less thick than orchestra strings and will be tuned a whole step lower than for which they are designed. However, I have found that when you tune solo strings to regular pitch (EADG) that they are not as loud as orchestra (regular) strings.

Strings are soooo expensive, so ordering several sets to try out is prohibitive. I suggest that the bassest try other basses to see how various strings respond to his/her playing. Also, one type of string can respond differently on different basses. I like to play the video bass demonstrations at George and Tom Martin's bass website. Tom will say what type of strings are on each bass he is demonstrating (although his demonstrations are mostly with the bow). This gives some idea of what to expect from the type of string on each bass.

-Dr. C