View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Posting Member

Phil Maneri is on a distinguished road

Most luthiers I know have a hard time charging enough. There are only a small few that will have a propensity for ripping you off and I think they are hard to find.

Considering the risk, expense of tools, and time to aquire skills I amazed at how low the prices really are. They are valued less than many other professions that require much less talent, dedication and tooling.

Shop for a luthier with experience, talent, training, and good reputation and pay them what they ask.

Having said that your question is really "how do I find a luthier I can trust". Answer is the same way you find a lawyer, accountant, mechanic, plumber, electrician etc. Ask questions about the luthiers near you. Look to those players that have used them before. Find a luthier that the majority of the responses you get are positive and try them out.

What you want is not a high dollar or time required job and a good one to test the waters with.

I think all players should eventually establish relationships with luthiers they trust so as to not have to worry about that part of the playing equation. It's too much work to play the DB already, no need to add more complication to it.

Phil Maneri
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA