View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gencarelli View Post
Beautiful bass!
Thanks Brian. I was working on some music for a concert next month and pulled the 'Bear out for a few minutes. We are doing Mendelssohn's 4th, The Italian. The first movement is at 160 in 6/8 conducted in 2 with the triplets against the beat as you know. The 4th is up at about 208 with tripets as well but conducted in half's. This is lightening fast but almost doable.

After playing a few minutes on the 'Bear I switched to the Hart to compare and the reach from the difference of girth is night and day. The string length is barely a 1/4" difference but the difference between where my left and right hands are placed are not slight in the least bit.

The Martini is out now so I don't have it to compare in the group till next week. This piece needs the Extension having a few low D's here and there. I thought of detuning the E down to D but being the ease of playing the Hart in comparison, I put 'Papa Bear' back in the rack for now. If the 'Bear had the C-extension installed by now I would be in real trouble. I would probably go for it and just make the stretch needed.

One of you guy's needs to come by and play this bass. Maybe Arnold can shed some light on its sound as he did have it awhile and did compare it with me along side of my 'Mystery Bass' before the ISB. I think this bass to my ear sounds more Italian then English, whatever that means.