View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool DaSalo in new Double Bassist?

>>d'Salo in my rack about 6 feet from me. Actually it had 2 appraisals over the years attributing it to Gasparo but the latest a few years ago names Lorenzo Storioni as the culprit. The Scroll looks Brescian to me all the way. The purfling is wide 3-banded. The Bass is Pear Shaped and has about a 44 1/4" string length if not more. That's where I have it set at the moment. The Back wood reminds me of Homer Mensch's Gagliano and the FFs, just breath taking. I doubt it is old enough to be a d'Salo but Storioni is a possibility at least by the age (c.1780).

This Bass is the ex-Bob Riccardi Guitar shaped Bass currently attributed to Storioni. I played it back in October of last year and could not believe my ears. Bob was a gracious host and let me play both of his Basses that day. Tragically, Bob died suddenly a few weeks later in November. I just learned about a week ago that the Bass was still available as the other interested buyer had not yet 'pulled the trigger'. To make a long story short, I just brought the Bass home today and promised Mrs. Riccardi I would treat it with great respect. I will try playing it this week as I have a concert on Saturday. Sounds crazy as I have the solo part in Pulcinella not to mention we are also doing Dumbarton Oaks plus a couple other Brazillian type things. Call me krazy but this Bass has a sound that I have never felt before. The closest Basses were the Gagliano, Seraphin and an attr. Maggini. It is not a loud bass under the ear but a smooth sneaky penetrating organ sounding Bass.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 02-07-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Bass link added