View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

I think this thread and the other one like it over at TB are why I really admire Ken Smith. He is not satisfied with blurred details and easy approximate answers that are "convenient". And I think the points made here are very well made. There is a tendency to want a definitive answer about every bass that is made while in many cases the most honest answer is that we really don't know who made some of these basses. I am convinced as Ken is that there are too many basses that don't fit the Prescott details enough but are conveniently ascribed to him due to incomplete, hopeful, or just downright sloppy research. It makes me thoroughly question the "origins" of antiques that are not well documented.

Certainly there were other American makers in Prescott's time and some of their work survives even if their name and reputation did not. That these basses are valued higher or lower because of the recognition of only one name is a bit ironic, and genuinely ignorant in terms of real value. It is quite possible that Prescott was not the best builder of that place and time, just the most prolific and best known. What I really appreciate is the time and diligence that Ken has put into this subject.

Compiling as much accurate information in one place is also a great idea. It is fantastic to have Don Carrigan's input here as well and the publications that he has supplied online about Prescott's life and career. I would encourage Ken to compile his research, notes, photos, other contributor's information etc. into something more durable than just a web forum, but I'll take it anyway he wishes to publish it.

In all of my life I have seen only one great Yankee made double bass in performance (other than one Prescott that pops up in the Atlanta Symphony). It belonged to a fellow who used to play in a local bluegrass outfit, Blue Steel, and it was attributed to Dearborn. It had the same general American or "Prescott" appearance in that it was very large. I tried very hard recently to locate the player, but it appears he no longer plays with that act and I could not find any information about him. So the only reference I can add is that somewhere in the Southeast wanders a really good blue grass bassist who has an old Dearborn bass. I'll be on the look out for him.

Very informative and educational thread here, Ken. Not that I'm bored with the English bass thread, that one has some great story lines as well. It might not have ever occurred to you that you could teach this kind of stuff at some university, but given what you have to share in direct first-hand observation, I'm certainly glad that you post it in a forum.