View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool wolfy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Lovely looking bass!
Why did you put the little 'woof tone' thing on the A string?
Well, the bass is so lively that the a string being the highest off the Top is the most powerful note and over-vibrates the bass somewhat. Depending on the string, the wolf is more or less. It is mainly noticeable with the Bow and open A or A harmonic. With lighter strings, it's barely noticeable.

I did an Orchestra concert and Chamber Gig without the eliminator and had no problem at all. Playing alone in the room though I can hear everything. When I stop playing, all of the other basses in the rack are making noise. This monster vibrates everything from the floor to the ceiling and the walls as well as everything in-between.

I had Original Flat Chromes on it first and didn't like them on this bass. Then I put some played-in Belcantos on and the bass improved 100%. Then I tried the Passione's and wow, the bass loves them. I used to use Flex 92s with a Stark 92E. The Bass loved those as well. I have yet to try 92s on the Bass post restoration but the Passione's are doing just fine. I also have a set of Jargar medium's coming in but until the Passione's wear out or wear out their welcome, the Jargar's will sit in wait. I find that this bass prefers lighter than heavier strings. I have to listed to what she tells me!