View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 AM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
No i don't have Sacconi's book. Is it a bible I should have?

I'd love to see/hear your experiment. But I fear we're derailing the thread a bit...

From the Sacconi book, " The position of the ff holes is as fundamental to the quality and power of the sound of the instrument as the archings are. For this reason in order to position the ff holes correctly, Stradivari used to study their dimensions and exact position for every single model by means of a series of trials and experiments until he reached a definitive solution. He would then establish this by a special drawing on paper which reproduced the centre (bridge area) of the instrument with its ff holes correctly positioned. This positioning was also determined by finding the point of balance of the finished belly without the bass-bar having been atached. In fact in my experience, the notches of the ff holes always occur in the ideal transverse line which divides the upper and lower surfaces into two areas of equal weight." This is what Sacconi called the acoustic center which is which is south of the measurement center.