View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
Sounded good with the 1890 Lamy (and highly-skilled operator)? No surprise.

My experience with these medium-low amps -- including an all-night demo on the Workman's 10, which was the predecessor to your new baby -- is that most can make a great bass sound nice. Where they often fall down is in making a decent bass sound decent.

I bet your back is thanking you though, Ken.
Sam, this one is 2 years old but brand new, un-sold stock. I am not familiar with the earlier models of this amp. On the weight, it's about 40 lbs.. Much lighter than my EBS 15 but I have wheels in that now. Just lifting it in and out of the car or up and down stairs is a drag. This one moves with half the effort. I still would like something like a luggage carrier to walk with it and type of distance over 20 feet.

At the gig I have in a few weeks, they will provide an amp for me. The SWR Basic Black. With that amp, I usually bring my PAPA because the EQ on the amp is just a bit lacking for what I like. For rehearsals which are at a different locations, I need to bring my own amp or play without one because they only bring the amp to the dress rehearsal the night before the concert.

Last years theme at this pops concert was a Sinatra type singer and that was fun. I had worked with Frank Jr. in '72 and the keyboard player worked with Frank Sr. in the mid '80s so I told the drummer, "just follow us, don't look at the conductor". lol.. but true.

This year it's partially a Rock theme. So far, I only have have the music for 4 pieces; 'Elvis Medley', 'Remembering the Beatles', 'Grease' (5 tunes) and 'Bandstand Boogie'. I can use a Smith bass on a few tunes here and there but the DB is definitely needed. I just have to warm up my speed for the rock stuff. I used to be good at it! I will get the rest of the music in a few days and see where it all falls. A few years ago it was a Night in Vienna, all Viennese music. That was fun for the DB, 3 bass section. This concert is me solo!