View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool C Ext..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Ken you are - for good reason - condemning cutting a scroll to install an extension. But what about drilling the scroll to allow the C string through? That's removing original wood as well. You could say it's easy to plug a hole, but then, its not that complicated to restore a cut scroll either. There are ways to route the C string past the turns of the scroll and into the top of the pegbox. Not as elegant but it can be done.
Yes Matt, you heard me right. The Hole is ok and works best. The cutting of the Scroll is a huge sin in my book. Many basses have holes already that wont work for the next extension. They get plugged and the next one drilled. I have bought many basses like that. The only bass I bought with the scroll cut was the Guitar model bass. That has a sound to die for. When it's all fixed, the repair will show only a little. The reason it was cut to begin with was because of a faulty angle scroll graft. I know who did what on that bass as well. The bass I walked away from was a nice bass but nothing like this one. I even played it in concert a few times with the cut there but it bothered me to no end. Now it is fixed and in its new neck already awaiting its mounting to the restored bass. That will happen before long. The Top is almost done and will be glued back on soon. Then the Back comes off and we are in the home stretch.