View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Whopper landed..

This Whopper is not a burger. It is a 4/4 bass by William Tarr from Manchester, 1929 #8. Tarr is recorded as producing 208 basses, mostly Gamba models. This bass has Violin corners and a flatback as with all W.Tarr basses that I know of.

It is written that at one music festival in Dublin where the Gentleman's Orchestra of Manchester performed, all of the 9 basses were made by Wlm. Tarr. This later became the Halle Orchestra. This and the other basses are known as the Halle Tarr basses. Full sized violin models.

In 1959 this bass was cut down a bit by maybe 2" or more in length and an inch or so in the width of the bouts. Recalling the measurements I took last night, the lower bout is currently 29" or so, the upper is 23"+ and the center almost 17 1/2". This was a HUGE bass but, with the flatback and the upper angle break, quite playable.

The Neck stand looks 100% original, out maybe 20mm. The joint is a wide slightly dovetail but mostly a hidden mortise with only maybe 1-2mm of difference between the the Top and the Neck as far as dovetail taper goes.

The Gears, original Manchester Tarr Gears, not unlike Baker's in construction but a different design. In fact, the Gears Arnold used for the copy of my Cornerless are actually Tarr copies but mis-named by the dealer that sells them. Once i get pics up in a few weeks, all of this will be clear.

Using a UV light, magnifier and flashlight, I cannot find a graft in the Neck/Pegbox joint. The Scroll is the real deal, Early Tarr. The FFs are about the most beautiful Norther English FFs I have ever seen. Long, wide, slightly slanted and beautifully cut. The Top is 'highly arched.

The sound, fasten your seat belts. This IS an Orchestra Bass. Deep Organ lows, smooth and sweet mids and LOUD.

I have seen one other Tarr like this but still full sized, not Cut. I do not know for sure is that one was a Halle bass but surely the same exact model, 4/4 violin flatback.

Both the Top and Back are made in 4 pieces. One main book-matched piece and narrower split and matched wings that are cut thru in the C bouts. The Corners are very subtle on these models.

This model is the King of the Northern English models.