View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Technique, in the end is about what works. You've got to be comfortable too, otherwise you won't want to play for too long. When I was young I studied violin at university. There seemed to be a million rules about how you should hold the bl00dy thing. I never felt comfortable; and I was too worried about how I was holding the violin and the bow to concentrate on making music. In the end it really put me off. When I took up the bass I had to work most things out for myself (especially on electric, because there didn't seem to be any good teachers around, or many instruction books - this was the 1970s). I only made one rule - it's not allowed to hurt. I approached my technique from what I had learnt about string instruments, and by watching people who played well. Over the years I've put in quite a bit of time studying how NHOP plays because I just love his playing. I find his approach very logical. I'd be very interested to know more specifically what people don't like about his technique. I can tell you that how he sits is very comfortable.