View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Oh, I don't mean to knock his technique or anything - and sure, whatever works works, even if it looks odd!

But at the same time, there is much to be learned from established techniques too; I think a lot of times we (bass players especially) get ahead of ourselves thinking "well techniques A-Z don't seem to be working for me, I must be unique or a genius" and off we go into developing the next great method, or just abandoning the pursuit of real technique, when the original problem was that we simply didn't understand (or weren't properly taught) some fine, underlying qualities or points of the basic techniques. Kind of like how a great artist throws paint at a wall and it is a masterpiece, but if I throw paint at a wall I'm a vandal (or a retard).
Thomas, I'm listening (well, reading actually) to what you say. I've certainly never considered myself a misunderstood genius! Don't tell the others, but I'm just not very bright. Yes, established techniques stop us reinventing the wheel - a wise man seriously regards what has gone before; what tools the master has chosen. Personally though, as I get older (still younger than Ken), I see the power of intuition - granted I have been playing string instruments for a little over 50 years and maybe I've learnt a technical trick or two. I personally think that good technique is all about remembering the basics...
Am I in tune? Am I playing in time? Am I phrasing? What the hell am I trying to say?