Thread: Music needed..
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool smiles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Higdon View Post
Ken, I don't think a DB part exists. I went to Petrucci, which provides free downloads, but they don't have parts for this, so I can't help you. (I just wanted to remind you of what a great guy I am.)

Petrucci is a great resource, though; they have tons of free stuff. Go to
http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page
Click on 'Composers', click on the composer you want, and you'll get a list of available works.
The full score for the Holst shows a staff for "Basses", but just as you say, that's really tuba writing. One option is to click on 'Full Scores' and select the Condensed Score. It's like a piano reduction, but you'll see notes on the bass clef for which instruments are playing. It will be clean, and you can transpose up an octave and write in where necessary. That's the best I can do.
I'm doing some concert band stuff now, and I do this all the time. I simply can't sight transpose from below low C.
Good luck, you old goat.
Don, I thank you for joining the party even those dinner is finished.. lol

There IS actually a DB/String Bass part as I found a listing for 'optional String Bass' within the instrumentation, and I DID find it on line for purchase here; http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/seco...s-p311160.aspx

I was just hoping to avoid transposing and re-writing some of the notes that I can't read being more than 2 ledger lines below the staff.

I have since written-up my part to play and have practiced it. I spent more time doing this than the time it takes to make the $4.95 and spend it on line for the part. Being that I will probably never play this again in my life and the fact that the Orchestra directors think the part I have is good enough which it's nit really, I didn't want to have to pay to play! But, I might just do it to take the strain off my eyes and brain and be a sport for once. Just don't let anyone know I can be a nice guy. That would just ruin my reputation altogether..

Still buddy, thanks for the reply anyways. It's always nice to hear from you. One chart I did in jazz band in high school was titled "Better Late Than Never".