Thread: "Swappable" Nut
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool your Nuts.. (not, you're nuts!.. well.. who knows.. lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
Interesting! Thanks for the comments. I'm not about to go and put my "nuts" in a vice, I was just curious if people leave them un-glued.
I have re-cut Nuts for Evah's, Oliv's and Gut's in the past and then went back to regular Flexocors with no problem. Maybe I was lucky but having used a Rat-tail File for about 40 years now, it's second nature to me. I have cut 100s of Nuts for our hand made Electric basses from brass and tweaked maybe 20% of the nearly 6,000 we made. I have also worked with composite Nut material as well as making and tweaking plenty of Double Bass Ebony Nuts.

The string will grab the Nut if the slot is angled properly. If you think you need two or more Nuts made then use a weaker glue than hide and 'spot' glue them in place. They will pop out easily but not by accident unless a long time has passed. If not glued and the Nut falls to a hard floor, it can crack or chip. Ebony is not all that flexible.

I think for weaker gluing of a Nut, try regular Elmers white School glue. It wont hurt anything. The oily ebony will prevent pore penetration and it comes off easily. It will hold the Nut wile stringing.

On all of my C-Extension I use this Glue for the Small top nut to keep it in place. They often fall out when changing strings and on one Gig, it flew off somehow and only noticed the next day. I made a new one and from that day on glued in all of my others as I re-strung them.