View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

Like I mentioned in another Thread awhile back, I have not personally seen any 18th century French basses in person that I can recall. Only a few in pictures.

On your bass, 10mm center is on the thick side, not huge but some Panormo's are 6mm (all over) on the lighter side. I think 7-9mm center is more average but this also depends on the density and strength of the wood. The condition of the bass is important as well here.

Your Luthier has the bass in his hands. He has to determine what's best. If 10mm is the center then maybe go to 5mm or so at the edges but, measure what you have now. You can see the cracks on the bass and determine maybe what damage was from over thinning, what cracks are from Back movement and what cracks might be from accidents. Then with the estimated density and strength of the Top wood, pick a plan and stay with it. If this bass was thinned in the past then maybe you wont know what the maker did originally. The restorer has to map out the top now and make a plan for what might work for the future. Have him measure the current graduations in with circles and ovals from the center to the edges and bouts.

Later French basses (after 1850?) are notorious for being heavily wooded and in turn are often thinned down for tone and sometimes, too much so.