Thread: Decisions
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Junior Posting Member

Melissa Washburn is on a distinguished road
Default Decisions

Hello all!
I am new to the forum and am looking for advice (who isn't here right?). I am new to the bass world. Started about 8 months ago. Purchased a '48 Kay Junior Bass. I am only 4'11" thus the reason for a small bass. The purchase was very hasty and I realized after bringing her home that it had major issues and a local luthier asked me if it were at all possible to get my money back. A few days later my sweetheart found a 1/4 size Corelli and gave it to me for my Birthday. It was used but looks brand new but the sound is just not to my liking. Too quiet, due to the size and/or quality. Englehardt seems to be what people like around where I am at. However, I have some questions. I have been around and played enough music with this instrument and others to know that spending a few extra bucks to get a good instrument is so worth it. Especially if it's something that I can grow into with experience. So...tell me about 1/2 size basses and who makes good ones as I am not sure I will get what I am looking for in a 1/4. I was checking out the 3/4 Englehardts and New Americans. The ES-1 & 9 are advertising as better quality woods. How is that so if it's laminate. Are all laminates pretty much the same. How are New American's different from the Englehardts being both laminates. There's a significant difference in price. I would love some advice and and thank you in advance.

Last edited by Melissa Washburn; 05-02-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Add more info