Thread: Decisions
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Washburn View Post
Ken I did forget to mention why I jumped in and grabbed this Kay without keeping my head about me (looking it over thoroughly). A gentleman who owns a music shop nearby has a Brother who somehow came across the Kay. Both Brothers are champion banjo & guitar players so they've been all over the south playing music. The one with a music shop has played on the Opry stage and says he remembers that bass living at the Opry years ago. How true this is I don't know. There were no papers with the instrument and I was told it lived in a closet for the last 20 years until the woman who had it at the time died. So being a lover of country and bluegrass I got excited about this instruments past home. But unfortunately to have something I could play once I got it home was not the reality I was faced with and the luthier that I brought it to here in town responded by asking me if I could get my money back. I was crushed but it was then that my sweetheart found the Corelli and we decided to see if we could fix the Kay in the meantime so that I could play it. That's my story of the Kay!
Well, it sounds like the Kay deserves to be played again in healthy condition. The costs to repair today are way more than the old Kay's once sold for but that's the same story with all old instruments. If you like how it feels as far as size, string length and body fit and the sound from what you can tell is what you like, then get an estimate of two from the guys that specialize in Kay basses and play it.