View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool TB..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
Thank You!!!! Mr. Smith! You weren't there to comment, and I knew it would be well worth hearing. I did follow the posts on the restoration of your Prescott on the "Yankee Bass" thread.

I really don't know if Lou changed the bar or not. So don't quote me on that one. The big controversy was over the varnish. I just find that kind of ironic considering the more serious changes, and now I think it is even more ironic if this is, as you say, not really a Prescott.
I have been banned from posting over on TB ever since I dared them to be fair, honest and truthful but the fact remains that it's a cash-cow for paul and he wont let any threads or posts interfere with his advertisers. One of my posts was deleted for no reason other than thru a light joke on the theme set, incriminated an advertiser. The one who owns ALL the banner ads there or at least 90% of it.

Trust me, if that was a Prescott it would have Prescott FFs and Scroll and not a partial look-a-like. On the Bassbar, it's no biggie. It should only be changed if it need to and at that point the Top should be fully restored. I would rather have 20% original varnish left and the rest touched up and matched under a clear coat then to see any bass re-finished to look pretty. I know some out here have a past and a love/respect with Lou. I have talked with him on the phone a few years ago about the origin of my Mystery Bass and he was a gentleman 100% of the way. As far as the re-fin practice, I think it's a bad habbit that he's stuck in in his mind. Old dog/new tricks syndrome maybe.

Hey, at least he gave Arnold some help when he started out in the biz so he can't be all that bad if a Luthier at that high level respects him. On the Prescott naming, more shops make that mistake for one reason or another than shops that stick to the facts for accuracy rather than the easy way out or for profit. Sometimes it's best to say "I'm not sure who really made it 'cause I wasn't there" or "School of _____"!