Thread: Type of cable
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

I have also had the best luck over the years with the simplest solution: Belden cable and straight Switchcraft plugs. I have cables that I still use that are, well, let's just say old.

I usually keep my cables no more than 10 feet long to minimize capacitance.

One thing that Mr. John Hall of RIC emphasizes, if you go with the traditional 1/4" plug and jack, is to make sure you use good plugs that have the proper tip geometry so the jack makes secure contact so both are therefore less prone to wear and damage. For this reason I use Switchcraft, although Neutrik is also good in this regard.

Edit: I forgot to mention: there is one other important reason for a live gigging musican to keep it simple: cords do get snagged, stepped on, and caught up in just about everything imaginable. The simple cords are the least expensive consistant with good performance for value, and unlike locking cables or jacks, they simply slip right out of the jack with no harm done to the performer, instrument, rarely the cable, or the event, item or person resulting in the pulled out cord.

Last edited by Scott Pope; 06-07-2011 at 11:48 AM.