View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your opinions.

I will not conduct a thorough ****ysis of each and every school, but rather compile a list of them, along with some general notes on what characteristics there are. Look at it as a guide for the confused student. Believe me, I will NOT spend too much time on this... but I thought the idea was interesting, as I, myself, has often wondered where I want to go with my playing.

I'd be really interested if there's anyone with first-hand personal experience of a school or two, who could provide some useful information on method etc. If I can't get in contact with someone who can describe what his experience with this or that school is like, I will probably leave that school out of the survey. I am not interested in guessing and thus imposing the arbitrary opinions of an outsider.

So far, I have the following schools:
National/Traditional:
German
Viennese
English
American
French
Italian
Russian
the Prague school I will have to investigate a bit more... after all, it has spawned as fabulous a musician as Bozo Paradzik... who, on the other hand, seems to have a lot in common with McTier when it comes to teaching and performing paradigms, maybe more than he has in common with the typically German way of playing..?

Modern/Schools based by around an individual teacher who somehow won't fit into the framework of a traditional school:
Rabbath/Nouvelle Technique
Duncan McTier
New Dutch School (Silvio Dalla Torre)

Myself, I have studied with teachers who, in turn, have been educated in Berlin (with Klaus Stoll), Vienna (Ludvig Streicher), New York (Eugene Levinson), and Duncan McTier. I have noticed enormous differences between them. Hence my interest in the subject. I will of course also ask professors directly, and see if they are willing to answer a few general questions. I just have to figure out which questions...
Thank you for your time.