View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

I can't tell much from the top until I get close. Once a maker gets the top off of many of these chinese instruments and regraduates, it starts to look familiar. Funny thing, some of the Himalayan spruce I've worked on carves like a cross between bamboo and cardboard. Still, they sound good if they are graduated correctly.

I sell a line of violins that are made from either All Euro wood, Euro top and Himalayan maple, or all Himalayan wood. They all sound good in their own way. But the top of the line Euro model stands out in some very subtle ways. Some of this has to do with the care taken by the makers in the small workshop of maybe 14 trained employees under one master. When working on the top level they spend a little more time and the master actually does some graduating himself.

I have seen the Shen bass line. I have ordered them. They are a remarkable company to deal with. They design some very nice instruments and the fit and finish is among the best out there. I think the willow back and sides are a great idea also and I don't see any other chinese maker using it. I usually only have to touch up the fingerboard to get it playing perfectly. Admittedly most of what I sell is entry level or step up.