Thread: Lighter Bows?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Lighter or Heavier..

Balance is more important then weight itself. My 152gr bow is actually lighter in feel than my 146gr bow. That is because of the Balance point alone.

Some Basses or some strings sound better with some Bows and not as good with others. When I get a Bass set-up and ready to play I try several of my Bows on it to see which one feels and sounds better combined. I also try various techniques to test the sound pulled by the Bow alone and then play both sitting and standing which alters the angle and weight in which the Bow sits on the String.

Then I choose the Bow that fits that Bass the way it is currently strung. If I use different Strings, the test starts all over again. If you only own one Bow, you test it with your Bass and string choice.

The Bass I used the lighter Bow with is a newly set up 1978 Pollmann with Belcanto strings. It has a new thick fingerboard with a Graphite Bar in the Neck beneath it. The Bass plays smoothly and with ease. If it was a tighter feel, I doubt the lighter Bow would work.

On the better Bow thing, usually my best Bow sounds best with any Bass but some of the other Bows work almost equal with lighter tensioned Basses.