Thread: Lighter Bows?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb My Light Bow

I sent this Bow to Sue Lipkins a few days ago for a re-hair and evaluation and commented after examining the Bow the work looked to be of the Mirecourt School and not German as previously thought.

So, what does this mean? Well, playability wise not much but value wise it's a big plus. I think German made French Bows on average sell for about half or less than a similar period French made Bow. For one, they are usually better with the exception of a few old makers but style wise, the French-French design is usually preferred.

I knew this was a nice Bow but had trouble matching up the style, Stick, Head and Frog to any of the German makers that I knew of. Now this makes sense. Also, looking under the Frog it has two notches ( // )in both the Stick and Frog lining. This means that it is a shop bow of some sort made in a batch or possibly 4-6 Bows or so if not more as far as fitting the Frog-to-stick part. The only trouble is that I have never in my life seen a Frog of that size before. Besides the Frog being only about 25mm tall, the top of the Stick is all round with only the part under the Frog Lining being *octagonal (*3 of the 8 sides).