Thread: Lighter Bows?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Junior Posting Member

jordan oconnor is on a distinguished road
Default Similiar but different...

Similar to what Ken mentioned, in regards to his wrist, I hurt my wrist some years ago. This wasn't too much of an issue until recently, when I began to play with a bow, which is when I noticed my weakness.

Personally I did think about getting a heavy bow, because I thought it might help to have a bow that did "more work", but I have gone the other direction; I play German and have 3 bows, the heaviest is 126grams (Ary500) and the lightest is 113grams (Prochownik). The middle bow has the fullest sound weighing in at 122grams (Prochownik), the lightest has the best contact or grab to the string and the lesser priced Ary is a great bow for the money and has served me well.

My question is, since my lightest bow has the best grab or contact and the next bow up, the 122grm bow has the fullest sound, it seems that weight is not a definitive answer to the matter of volume or, for that matter, making a solid, easy, fluid connection with the string. Obviously heavy bows have a strong presence with the string and personally I have tried great, wonderfully heavy Snakewood bows that are awesome in this regard, (and want to get one oneday) however I wonder what some of the other factors are in regards to volume, to connecting with the string, to bouncing the bow and so on?

What role does, not only different kinds of wood and thus, weight, play but different grades of wood? Does the age of the wood, or the way the wood was aged factor in? When some one makes a bow do they have a certain function in mind; in how the bow will sound or feel or stick to the string? In how it will bounce and so on? Is the art of bow making the quest to balance or conform a variety of elements within the perfect stick?

Thanks for your insight...
Jordan