View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
So, across the Ocean or rather Ocean'S, my idea of the 'Original' 'D-Neck' verses the 'Modern' 'D-Neck' can be easily explained;
Original D = Modern Eb.
Modern Eb = Original E.
Modern D = Original Db.

I can't tell you what a struggle it is going over the shoulders to the F# or G when climbing up the Neck of a modern D vs. an Original D or modern Eb. I sop much prefer the Eb at the heel for the lower positions to Thumb positions. Takes a half step out and some physical mass as well.
A good rule of thumb I've found is if you can play with your thumb at the heel of the neck, D-1st finger, Eb-2nd finger, E-3rd finger, 4-4th finger...Ie. The Mahler Solo is played with full finger extensions, or if you have tiny hands/massive string length, you can use a small thumb pivot behind the neck. Also...Having the ability WITHOUT pivoting your thumb at all, to play four finger technique starting on D, Eb and E is imperative.

I prefer an Eb neck because I like to have my thumb behind my 2nd finger. Most Viennese basses and students of the Streicher technique will use a bass with an Eb neck.

An Eb neck keeps your hand position consistent all the way up the string. I always play with my thumb behind my 2nd finger. If I want to play a D on the G string all I have to think about is thumb in the crook and the first finger behind it, just like it would be if I were playing in half position...

Then again, I don't even know if this is called an Eb neck or not...This is confusing!

Eb neck - Thumb in crook, 2nd finger across from thumb on Eb, 1st finger behind thumb on D.
D neck...Then what's a D neck?

Last edited by Calvin Marks; 07-04-2009 at 04:01 PM.