View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ah haaa..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Yes, many players like an Eb neck because of enhanced ease playing in those transition positions. But the D has become a guidepost for many, and is now the standard. Another thing to consider is that many bass bodies will not accept an Eb neck because there won't be any heel left, especially if the maker designed it with a D neck in mind. In fact I have a bass on my bench which was made by a contemporary maker. The owner insisted on an Eb neck and the result is a very short heel with little strength, as there is a high overstand. That's an accident waiting to happen.
Yes, I can see the design problems but I have longer Neck'd Basses with the Eb as well. The problem with them was usually the String length. My Loveri has a longish Neck so the easiest fix was a 'false' Ebony Nut adjoined to the regular Nut. I also did this years (actually decades) ago on a 7/8th Bass by Anton Wilfer, 1936/39? which were the early Juzek Master Art Basses. Many of the earlier Germanic Basses had 43-44" string lengths with Eb Necks. This was quite common.

Still, I have come to realize that the Eb Neck for me is my favorite for playing the upper positions and up into TP as well. I also like easy playing Basses with under 42" lengths.. Like having your Cake and eating too. Sometimes you just can't..

Arnold, thanks for your detailed and educational explanation.