View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation new frog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Yes, "gutted" expresses my feelings pretty well, especially right when it happened. Thanks for your empathy.

I got a referral to Jerry Pasewicz, as one of the few people who would do well with the restoration. I spoke with him a couple of times; he certainly knows his business. Moreover, his firm has been a joy with which to work:

http://www.trianglestrings.com/store...content&page=4

They are busy, so it will be a few months until my bow moves up the line for restoration.

He offered rebuilding the frog (which was crushed), to match a Morizot pattern or making a new one and saving the old pieces for a future restoration. We discussed pros and cons for each option. I opted for the new frog.

He says that it will play as well as new, because the stick didn't break. I look forward to seeing it again. He also says that the stick damage, when steamed, filled, and finished, will be virtually undetectable.

The bow will come back to me, with the new frog, haired, and recambered, before he does filling/refinishing on the stick. If the curve/action is right, he will then finish up the cosmetic part of the work.

Bless him, his talent, and his skills. I'll report on the results.
The bow will hold it's value MUCH better with a RESTORED Original Frog. On vintage Bows with Replaced Frogs you can expect about a 40% devaluation for not having it original. For repaired/restored, maybe 10-20% depending..

If the Stick was broken and it's just getting pieced together then the value is not an issue. Just play it.