View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Lawyer, acct... Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maneri View Post
Most luthiers I know have a hard time charging enough. There are only a small few that will have a propensity for ripping you off and I think they are hard to find.

Considering the risk, expense of tools, and time to aquire skills I amazed at how low the prices really are. They are valued less than many other professions that require much less talent, dedication and tooling.

Shop for a luthier with experience, talent, training, and good reputation and pay them what they ask.

Having said that your question is really "how do I find a luthier I can trust". Answer is the same way you find a lawyer, accountant, mechanic, plumber, electrician etc. Ask questions about the luthiers near you. Look to those players that have used them before. Find a luthier that the majority of the responses you get are positive and try them out.

What you want is not a high dollar or time required job and a good one to test the waters with.

I think all players should eventually establish relationships with luthiers they trust so as to not have to worry about that part of the playing equation. It's too much work to play the DB already, no need to add more complication to it.
Phil, sorry but I must disagree slightly here. Most of the professions you have listed requires standard training in their field and most with a schooled Degree. Bass Repair has not yet reached that level across the board.

Many of the better Bass Luthiers are self taught or trained in another Shop before starting their business and not at a commercial trade school. Price-wise you also have to look at the quality of the job done. How many times do Basses get re-done because the previous Luther did a poor job? Then it costs at least 2x to correct and do it right so the 1st guy did charge too much because his job had to be un-done and then re-done. Sometimes the Bass sustains permanent damage and valuation loss as well.

For the question at hand I would post the first question; How much off center is the Endpin now and how and why do you think the tone is suffering?

The Endpin Block is drilled all the way into the Bass. Also, over time the hole may not be a perfect taper from end to end. Fitting a tight plug end to end and the exact length (not too short or too long) is very difficult to do with the Top on unless tools are used thru the FFs to mark and trim after knocking it snug and them pushing it out to trim and then re-inserting in hope that it will be a good fit when in actually, you are working partially blind.

I have never done this job myself but have seen many Basses opened up. I would never imagine you could do a good permanent job from the outside that would satisfy my eye as far as good luthier work. When the hole is re-drilled/bushed for the Endpin socket, Much of the new wood plug will be cut away. if the fit was not good on the repair, the thinner areas of the Plug left in-place may not be well glued or have a tight fit.

I now yield to the gentleman from New York, namely Arnold and Jeff whose advice I would take to the bank with two blind eyes!

To have your questions answered better by Pros in this field here, it would be to your benefit to post several detailed pictures so it can be better judged.