View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb off center..

The Endpin on my Mystery Bass is slightly forward as well. I don't know why they did this but it IS the original hole from about 200 years ago if not more. Here are some pre-restoration pics to have a look at it. Your comments are welcome of course. I have even considered putting a Viennese type Plug for the Tail Wire and placing the Endpin unit behind it so that when I tilt it back when sitting and playing low, the Back doesn't drag on the floor.

The original Tailblock which is tiny by comparison is still in the Bass as the restoration is in the homestretch after 3 years of anticipation. The Ribs are proudly 8.5" wide inside the Top and Back to give you some scale at what you are looking at. I can't wait to hear how she sounds. It was not playable when I bought it but the wood just looks delicious. I hope it sounds as good as it tastes..lol

Maybe, just maybe, the off center front to back placement of the Endpin hole has something to do with the Balance of the Bass as decided by the maker or maybe even the player and his needs when the Basses were made way back when..?