View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I have known this bass for about 20 years. Trust me when I say it sounds better than it looks. Ken is a fortunate fellow.
I feel lucky to have this bass, thanks to a certain dealer/friend in NY that called me when it came available.

I just got back from a show rehearsal. I do not recall owning a bass with such smooth, deep, rich sounding and easy to bow notes that grab the string in a split second going from Pizz to Arco in a fast 2-beat show tune. For the first 3 rehearsals I just did Pizz on the few single Arco marked notes because I didn't think I could play them quick enough even with bow in hand during the fast Pizz parts.

Tonight when I walked in the conductor mentioned that the Pit notes now includes some comments I need to look at. "BASS, Play all the Arco notes as marked" on the various tunes she noted. So tonight, I played everything as written Pizz to Bow and like magic, the Bow pulled the string like a deep, thick, warm, colorful sounding note as if I had time to lay the bow down and start the note which, I did not. My hand nearly slapped the bow on the strings, played a note or two and then back to pizz. Wow.. And I have owned a lot of great basses. This is the smoothest to date.

Bowing the sections that are more continuous, the sound of the bass is just beautiful.

Maybe the Lipkins Bow I have helps a bit. I am sure of it. Also, maybe those lessons I took several decades ago helped as well..