View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald View Post
How would you describe the difference with the feel and tone compared to ebony?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Personally, and without hesitation, I'll take an ebony fretboard over Pau-ferro always. Nothing against a Pau-ferro fingerboard; it's just not for my ear. I have a couple sets of older Smiths (identical models), two with the Pau-ferro and two with ebony (again, identical models). While they serve their purpose, there is a difference to my ear as the Pau-ferro fingerboard sounds warmer/softer up and down the neck. I love what ebony contributes: From the fundamental and harmonic, to the tightness in the lows, mids, and highs, up and down the neck. I can't give that same endorsement with the Pau-ferro.

As far as feel? I wouldn't say I "feel" a difference as the neck dimensions are the same, just a different fretboard wood used. I prefer a neck with a Satin finish over lacquered, but I'll use either as long I am achieving the sound I am seeking.

While this is my opinion and everyone has their own, and everyone has that tone they are seeking (developed/matured ear or not), I would suggest you try it for yourself, but my recommendation is to go with the ebony fretboard (gaboon ebony if you can get it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald View Post
I absolutely agree with your observation 100%..I have allways loved the feel of an ebony fretboard bass..Silky and smooth with a very fast and solid feel..The tone always seemed to be cleaner and more focused also....I just never heard or played a BT with Maurado before but I dont know that it would be my optimal board...
It is one clean 1990 isnt it....The guy says he bought it new and it has been out of the case less than 5 hours total....

Well, it certainly is not my optimal fretboard either (as I've stated), however, yes that is a very nice looking bass and I certainly would not discount it and would jump on it for the right price.