View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Posting Member

Brian Casey is on a distinguished road
Default Spreading Westward

I saw Paul Unger (Ft Worth Symph.) play one in Portland OR at a bass event. He's tuning in 5ths and it's his travel bass now. He hadn't had it long, but seemed to be sold on it. Nobody in the room knew it was a folding bass until he talked about it, then when asked he demonstrated it.

It's funny because my primary duo/trio partner just suggested that I look at getting a travel bass of some kind, and less than a week later, I was introduced to the Chadwick. To make the universe really allign, I just found out my Christopher 401, which had been on consignment since Spring, just sold for pretty much my asking price.

I think a Chadwick is in my very near future, but I would like to hear from more people who have actually played them. I didn't know how close I was to buying one, so I didn't play Paul's. (Not to mention I would have probably been too preoccupied with the 5ths tuning to really give it a fair shake.)

The one thing that I'm not sure about is that Paul had his action REALLY low, which isn't really my preference, and there was a fair amount of string noise and flappnig about of strings. I think that was more set up and strings (Thomastick Red Mitchell set) than the bass itself.

If anyone knows of a Chadwick in the NW US that I might be able to try out, I'd really appreciate it.

brian