View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Papers in the mail..

Ok Mikko, I mailed you copies of the 2 appraisals from Fantoni/1974 and Kolstein/1975. Also, some pictures of the Bass with the famous Al MacKibbon holding it next to his Bass they call a Stainer. We worked in the same pit for a week in the late '70s (him/Sammy Davis Jr., me/Linda Hopkins) so one night we took a few shots. There is also a copy of the old LaBella string package from that era as well. I posed for the cover with that/this/your/my/our Bass as well.

I spoke today with Paul Biase who sold the Bass after I retired (the first time) and he assured me that he sold the Bass as I had played it with only the Neck moved out a bit and a new Bridge cut. Any other modifications including the label reading; 'Giacomo Rivolta, fece Milano 1822' (etc.. had lots of goodies on the label. Rivolta was 'the' man in the early 19th century) which is now missing, happened in Europe after it was shipped over.

I played that Bass professionally for 15 years. I was my one and only... Now I have a new family of basses. Maybe if they meet one day they will get along. You never know how it is when the new 'one' meets your 'eX'!