Thread: My Martini...
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
That depends on Arnold. He's the one doing the work. The bottom block is getting trimmed. A few pieces of inner linings are being replaced touching the Top/Rib joint. A rear soundpost patch touching the Back is being added. The Back is made in 3 pieces and one of the joints is within a few inches of the soundpost. As with all roundbacks, the post in the tighter winter months pushes the Back out. With this Bass, it is making it difficult to keep the outer side of the joint closed as the post is pushing on it slightly from the inside. The rear post patch is a corrective measure so after the back seam is closed, it stays closed. The Neck block is being modified from a dovetail to a mortise. The Neck is getting its first graft into the original Scroll which is now 88-89 years old (depending on the month the Bass was completed in 1919). This and a few other things are on the restoration menu.

In my opinion, it is not all that exciting to document. When the Bass is done, it will be re-photographed for the Website. Other than the Neck Graft and a bit or Varnish touch-up, the Bass will mostly look the same as it did before.

It is totally up to Arnold if he wants to spend time taking and posting pics. I have 2 other much bigger restorations waiting for his bench so I personally would rather he spend his time on the Bass and not on the camera.
I saw it on Arnold's table when I was there today. Too bad I didn't take my camera. A beautifaul bass to be sure. Other than that worm damage you mentioned it looks totally clean inside. Arnold is doing a beautiful job on those inner linings.