View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Posting Member

Mike Jenkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
To expound on this, I wouldn't necessarily want a separate compartment as I've found them to generally involve lousy plastic covers or otherwise be prone to problems.. Also, the less wood carved out of the body of my bass, the happier I am..

To implement something like this I would say make a metal access door in the metal backplate over the battery with a slotted metal latch that can be actuated using a key or screw driver. You get the convenience factor with less risk of damage from minor abuse.

The plastic, spring loaded battery cover on my Dean was broken off by my guitar player when he went to put the bass on to mess around and accidentally bumped the battery compartment, causing the cover to pop open. It was then wrenched out of it's socket by his leg. That compartment was convenient, until a minor bump which is very likely to happen in normal use made a situation where the battery would fall out and dangle from the bass under normal use.. I eventually gave up and fixed it.
An accident can happen any time with anything. I've been fortunate enough not to experience any mishaps with the battery compartments on my basses. But whether or not the battery compartment is carved separately in the body or accessed through the back plate I for one wouldn’t want the battery compartment accessed with a key or screwdriver. That defeats the purpose of having the quick access compartment. Also, I'm not so sure that such a small hole in the back of the bass would make a noticeable difference in tone. Ken can speak to that one.