View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink Update..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I am considering having Sue Lipkins make me a new Screw/Button to match the Bow. I have pictures of 3 Bultitudes, 2 were mine. I will send her the pictures with the Bow.
Bultitude #3 is now in Sue Lipkins' hands. After examining the Bow first hand, her opinion was identical to the opinions I received from London. The Stick and Frog were both made by Bultitude. This Bow was most likely one of the last Bows that Bultitude made. This is evident by the workmanship of an elder master Atelier. This Bow has also led a 'busy' life. The Bow model-wise is completely different for all the others I have seen by Bultitude. The Tip is extra narrow with a Frog to match. Obviously 'a pair in the making' as far as the Frog matching the Stick. The Frog is super low in height and it appears that the area where the thumb goes may have been altered a bit for playing comfort for a previous owner.

The Screw is no doubt a replacement but not a very good match at all. The Mortise where the Frog sits inside is not squared off at the edges like usually done. Clearly a sign of a tired old maker. The Tip Mortise under the plug for the Hair is a huge deep canyon. The Grip is also 2 separate parts.

I have given Sue the 'go ahead' to do a full restoration and give this Bow what it needs. I have done this with many Basses but this is the first time I have a Bow that needs so many things to 'get right'.

Sue will 'complete' and square the Mortise under the Frog and clean up one small old repair to the Frog as well. She will also slightly fill the Tip Mortise under the Plug. The Stick is classic Bultitude and deserves a proper dressing. The Stick will get a full compliment of Silver and Leather for a new Grip. The hole drilled for the Stick at the end for the Screw is slightly worn. This will get 'plugged' and re-drilled. The final step just before the classic Lipkins re-hair job will be the making of a completely new Bultitude style split-Screw made from Ebony and Silver to match the Bow the Screw style of Bultitude from. Sue is also familiar with my 2nd Bultitude so the style is no stranger to her.

The Bultitude restoration will take a few months to complete. I don't expect to have many updates if at all but if anything interesting happens, I will report back..