View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb his Book..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Henriquez View Post
I was just talking to John Scheafer, and he said Dave Pearlman and him brought most of the Bultitude's into NYC in the mid 60's. He said they bought about 10 to 15 of his bows then costing 100 dollars!! Now, they are hard to find and costing about 5k and up if in good condition.
In the Bultitude/Hill book it is mentioned that he was commissioned to make 30 bass bows a year for USA and shortly after that, refused to make anymore. He preferred to make bows one at a time for each individual player. Bultitude made over 2,000 handmade bows including a small percentage of them being for bass. The one I just got is not anything like the model from the '60s of which I've owned two of them. This latest one is something off the charts. Sue Lipkins even commented that it was an oddity and she has handles more bass bows than most.

Funny thing about the book I mentioned above. I ordered it either between having the 1st and 2nd bow or after I got the 2nd. The Book was on back order. By the time the Book came in, I no longer had a Bultitude bow. That was a real bummer for me. Waiting to read about my favorite maker (next to Sartory) and then not having a Bow to match the Book. A year or so later, I find one, my 3rd Bultitude Bass Bow. Now, I wanna read the book.. lol

When I showed the 1st Bow to Duane Rosengard a few years ago he mentioned that it was the model that Schaeffer had commissioned Bultitude to make in the '60s only my Bow came from London. Apparently not all of them were shipped over here unless that Bow made a trip home sometime between 1962 when it was made and 2003 or so when it was purchased at Auction in London. This is just another example how instruments 'come to be'. Players demand!

This one I have now is very unusual and has the thinnest Tip I have ever seen including German Bows. Yet, the Bow plays and draws a sound to die for. Like Bultitude told Brian Tunnicliffe (another British bow maker who knew Bultitude) towards the end of his life, "I'm gonna leave a few things for the so called experts out there to think about". This Bow of mine I believe is one of those things being the latest Bultitude Bass Bow we have seen or heard about to date and the oddest as well.