View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Junior Posting Member

Frederick Schurger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Phelps View Post
I agree 100%. Smith basses are works of art in every way even to sit & look at but just like our uprights at the end of the day these are the tools for our trade & the best ones in the business in my opinion & I bring these basses because they sound the best & that's what matters. I'm sure some guys do buy certain basses to wow people but I will never understand that. The beautiful presentation of smith basses is just a bonus to me. Having a smith as a collectors piece is ok I guess but it seems like putting a tiger in a cage (no pun intended) & these basses are built to be played.
Not quite in public, but I remember the weekend that I got my CR5G as well as one of Tobias' MTD's, comparing and contrasting them trying to figure out which one spoke to me, as this was my first 5-string. I got together with some old friends for a jam session, going back and forth between the basses, as we were comparing styles & sounds. Hands down it was the Smith that had the best punch. And even tho I'm not realizing that I need to be using BSR's for how I like to play (the CR5G is a vintage style), I don't plan on giving it up any time soon!!