Thread: Tension
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb several mm's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
Hey Ken, thanks for the taking the time to reply. Sorry for the inconvenience about this issue but it seems to be a bit of a learning curve for me.

So, are you saying that in half position if I press down on the E string, that the under part of the string should have the same string height (distance between board to under part of string) all the way up the board? Ie. Once the string is pressed down in half position, the note a or b etc on the same string should almost be flat to the board? On my bass there are several mm's in string height between the note A while the string is pressed in half pos.
Ok, you press the string down to use it as a straight edge over about 14 inches of the Fingerboard over the Neck. Looking under it you have space. The space is less at the ends and greater in the middle. Looking 'down' the neck sighting the fingerboard you will see the curve as well. I have maybe 1mm of space/curve/camber on my basses in this area. Several MMs as you describe sound like a banana curve! This is maybe the reason that light strings feel tight. Also, your neck might be warping/bending forward under the fingerboard or along with it. The Neck under the FB on a DB should be straight. Most of my Basses get carbon fiber bars inserted for strength before a new thick ebony FB is glued on and them made almost straight end to end with less than 2mm from the Nut to the end of the FB. If I need more height, I raise the bridge! Your bass sounds like it's set differently than I would desire. I would have to see it to point these things out. The neck under the FB should be a straight line with no curve in it as all if possible.