Thread: Bass Set-ups
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Bass Set-ups

Ken pretty much nails down a good set-up before the bass leaves the shop, however, I was curious how all you Smith players like your bass set-up?

From the bridge to the nut and truss rod to your preference of bass strings. Let's hear about it:

1. The first thing I usually do is make sure the strings are fresh. Rarely, but on occasion, you can get a bad string. If so, I replace with fresh Smith medium Taper Cores.

2. Then I play for feel. If necessary, I will adjust the bridge and truss rod according to my preference of feel and playing style.

3. Then I tune the neck by the fretted note at the 12th. fret with the harmonic of the same within +/- a penny.

4. Then I take the bass for a test drive unplugged. I like to hear what the bass produces naturally (i.e. what do the woods contribute).

5. Then I take the bass for a test drive plugged in. On occasion I may adjust the gain (if available) of the bass internally if I feel the need to better match the instrument's electronic potential with that of the amp, but without overdriving the amp.

6. Lastly, but rarely do I need to adjust the P/U's, however, I am interested in the precise adjustment advantages of the pole pieces of the P/U's. For example: I usually listen for the signal strength of each played string up and down the neck. If one sounds a bit weaker than another, I will adjust the pole pieces accordingly until I reach a consistent level up and down the neck.

7. Then I just have fun!

Ok, who's next?

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-06-2007 at 03:41 AM.